- 01/16/2023 Journal article led by Xiaoqing Li and Qi Cai, "Mechanobiological Modulation of Blood-Brain Barrier Permeability by Laser Stimulation of Endothelial-Targeted Nanoparticles" has been accepted at Nanoscale. Congratulations!
- 12/21/2022 Journal article led by Yaning Liu, "Gold Nanourchins Improve Virus Targeting and Plasmonic Coupling for Virus Diagnosis on a Smartphone Platform," has been accepted at ACS Sensors. Congratulations!
- 11/23/2022 Qi Cai received the Keystone Symposia Scholarship. Congratulations!
- 9/8/2022 Qi Cai received the Baxter Young Investigator Awards Committed 2nd Tier Award. Congratulations!
- 8/1/2022 Journal article led by Hejian Xiong, "Optical control of neuronal activities with photoswitchable nanovesicles," has been accepted at Nano Research. Congratulations!
- 7/16/2022 High school students won 2nd place for their Summer CAST CAMP. Congratulations! Special thanks to Tingting Zhang and Yaning Liu for mentoring the team.
- 5/9/2022 Yaning Liu received the Graduate Student Assembly Travel Award. Congratulations!
- 5/4/2022 Yaning Liu received the PhD Research Small Grant. Congratulations!
- 4/28/2022 Dr. Zhenpeng Qin gave a webinar titled "Delivering Drugs to the Brain."
- 4/26/2022 Tiffany won the GRACE fellowship. Congratulations!
- 4/26/2022 DIAMOND work for rapid virus diagnostics has been reported by the Dallas Morning News. UT Dallas scientists develop new technology that uses gold particles to screen for viruses
- 4/21/2022 DIAMOND work for rapid virus diagnostics has been reported by Dallas Innovates. UTD Team Develops Rapid Virus Test That’s ‘150 Times More Accurate’—and They’ve Launched a Company to Commercialize It
- 4/21/2022 DIAMOND work for rapid virus diagnostics has been reported by UTD NewsCenter. UTD Engineers’ New Rapid Virus Test Raises Bar for Detection.
- 3/31/2022 Review article led by Xueqi Xu, "Towards Dynamic, Anisotropic, High-resolution, and Functional Measurement in the Brain Extracellular Space" has been accepted at Neurophotonics. Congratulations!
- 3/1/2022 Davis John has received the Undergraduate Research Scholar Award. Congratulations!
- 2/22/2022 Journal article led by Xie Chen, "Single Pulse Heating of Nanoparticle Array for Biological Applications," has been accepted at Nanoscale Advances. Congratulations!
- 2/15/2022 An article in News Medical has been published on the Plasmonic LAMP paper led by Haiyang Ye. Congratulations!
- 2/2/2022 Dan Bouzolin has received the Undergraduate Research Scholar Award. Congratulations!
- 2/1/2022 Journal article co-led by Yaning Liu and Haiyang Ye, "Digital Plasmonic Nanobubble Detection for Rapid and Ultrasensitive Virus Diagnostics," has been accepted at Nature Communications. Congratulations!
- 1/19/2022 Journal article led by Haihang Ye, "Plasmonic LAMP: Improving the Detection Specificity and Sensitivity for SARS-CoV-2 by Plasmonic Sensing of Isothermally Amplified Nucleic Acids," has been accepted at Small. Congratulations!
- 1/17/2022 Journal article led by Xie Chen, Single Pulse Heating of Nanoparticle Array for Biological Applications," has been accepted at Nanoscale Advances! Congratulations!
- 12/13/2021 Journal article led by Xie Chen "The Spatiotemporal Evolution of Temperature During Transient Heating of Nanoparticle Arrays", has been published in the Journal of Heat Transfer. Congratulations!
- 12/9/2021 Dr. Zhenghong Gao was promoted to Research Assistant Professor. Congratulations!
- 11/30/2021 Dr. Zhenpeng Qin was selected to receive the 2022 ASME Y.C. Fung Early Career Award. Congratulations!
- 11/24/2021 Journal article led by Peiyuan Kang "Nanoparticle Fragmentation below the Melting Point under Single Picosecond Laser Pulse Stimulation", has been published in The Journal of Physical Chemistry C.
- 11/10/2021 Blood-brain barrier temporarily opening work has been reported by UT NewsCenter. Team Engineers New Way To Get Medication Past Blood-Brain Barrier
- 09/13/2021 Journal article led by Xiaoqing Li "Reversibly Modulating the Blood–Brain Barrier by Laser Stimulation of Molecular-Targeted Nanoparticles" has been published in Nano Letters. Congratulations!
- 08/30/2021 Dr. Zhenpeng Qin was awarded a High Impact/High Risk grant from CPRITTexas, and has been reported by The Dallas Morning News. Meet Dallas-Fort Worth's newest crop of high risk/high impact cancer researchers
- 08/04/2021 NTBEL received a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant for understanding the neuropeptide modulation of brain circuits by advanced nanomaterials and imaging. Congratulations!
- 07/25/2021 2021 CAST STEM bridge Summer Camp group-009 (Daisy Ming Chang, Audrey He, Enying Fu, Zach Li, Sarah Tang) mentored by Yaning Liu and sponsored by Dr. Zhenpeng Qin, completed the research project "Plasmonic Nanoparticle Assisted Sensing for Multi-targets by Darkfield Imaging" and won the third Prize in CAST STAR (Science Tech Academic Research) Awards. Congratulations!
- 06/18/2021 Yaning Liu won the runner-up award at the 2021 ASME-BED student paper competition Ph.D. level. Congratulations!
- 06/17/2021 Best dissertation Award received by Dr. Peiyuan Kang has been reported by UTD News center. University Honors Top Jonsson School Mentor, Dissertation and Thesis
- 05/31/2021 Chen Xie has received the Betty & Gifford Johnson Travel Award. Congratulations!
- 05/21/2021 Army grant support against ALS received by Dr. Zhenghong Gao has been reported by UTD News Center. Army Grant Assists Researchers’ Mission Against ALS
- 04/29/2021 Dr. Peiyuan Kang has been selected as the winner of the Best Dissertation Award for the Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science. Congratulations!
- 04/29/2021 Dr. Qin received tenure and will be promoted to Associate Professor in fall 2021. Congratulations!
- 03/05/2021 Xiaoqing Li and Yaning Liu were selected as a finalist for 2021 ASME-BED/SB3C Student Paper Competition PhD-level.
- 02/05/2021 Journal paper led by Dr. Xiuying Li "Nanotransducers for Wireless Neuromodulation", was accepted by Matter, which is tentatively scheduled for publication in the May 2021 issue of Matter.
- 11/20/2020 Dr. Zhenhong Gao received FY2020 DoD CDMRP ALSRP Funding. Congratulations!
- 08/25/2020 Dr. Haihang Ye received the 2020 BMES Career Development Award. Congratulations!
- 07/31/2020 Tiffany Leong received Jonsson Family Bioengineering Fellowship. Congratulations!
- 05/18/2020 Dr. Zhenpeng Qin received Faculty Research Award from Jonsson school. Congratulations!
- 05/01/2020 NT-BEL receives an NIH R01 grant for infectious diseases diagnostic project. Congratulations!
- 04/29/2020 Our lab's Infectious Disease Diagnostic has been reported by local news. UT Dallas researcher behind advance in testing for infectious disease
- 04/29/2020 Our lab's Infectious Disease Diagnostic has been reported by WFAA. UT Dallas researchers say they're in the final stages of creating rapid tests for respiratory viruses like COVID-19
- 04/27/2020 NTBEL teamwork of Brain Neuromodulation and Infectious Disease Testing has been reported by UTD News Center. Researchers’ Method Holds Promise for Brain Study, Better Tests for Viruses
- 04/14/2020 Dr. Hejian Xiong receives award from the Phospholipid Research Center for the project "Highly photosensitive phospholipid nanovesicles for near-infrared Iighttriggered local anesthesia". Congratulations!
- 04/07/2020 Tiffany Leong passed her Ph.D. qualify exam. Congratulations!
- 02/23/2020 Journal paper led by Dr. Haihang Ye "Signal amplification and quantification on lateral flow assays by laser excitation of plasmonic nanomaterials", was accepted by Theranostics.
- 02/10/2020 Journal paper led by Dr. Hejian Xiong, Xiuying Li "Near-infrared Light Triggered-release in Deep Brain Regions Using Ultra-photosensitive Nanovesicles", was accepted by Angewandte Chemie.
- 02/14/2020 Napat Dawkrajai received a Jonsson School Undergraduate Research Award for 2020.Congratulations!
- 01/03/2020 Xiaoqing Li has been chosen by Drs. Maria-Jesus Blanco, Kalpana M. Merchant and Mabel Loza to receive a Keystone Symposia scholarship to attend the meeting on Brain Therapeutics: Disruptive Technologies and Opportunities, Feb 16 - Feb 19, 2020, in Eldorado Hotel & Spa in Santa Fe, NM, USA.Congratulations!
- 10/17/2019 Journal paper led by Peiyuan Kang, "Transient Photoinactivation of Cell Membrane Protein Activity without Genetic Modification by Molecular Hyperthermia", was accepted by ACS Nano.
- 09/10/2019 Hejian Xiong and Xiuying Li’s work won the poster award at the International Symposium on Phospholipids in Germany. Three awards were given among participants. Congratulations!
- 07/03/2019 Journal paper led by Dr. Daipayan Sarkar and Peiyuan Kang, "Non-Arrhenius Reaction-Diffusion Kinetics for Protein Inactivation over a Large Temperature Range", was accepted by ACS Nano.
- 05/03/2019 UTDesign Team 772 (Marisa Romero, Adrienne Phillips, Vinit Sheth, John Yoo, Michelle Chang, Austin Daneman) mentored by Yaning Liu and sponsored by Dr. Zhenpeng Qin, completed their senior design project "Laser-based Point-of-Care device for infectious disease diagnosis" and won the 3rd Place in Spring 2019 Expo. Congratulations!
- 05/01/2019 Xiaoqing Li received Diversity Travel Grant to attend the 2019 Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport Conference in Seven Springs, Pennsylvania. Congratulations!
- 03/25/2019 Xiaoqing Li received Ph.D. Research Small Grants. Congratulations!
- 02/21/2019 NT-BEL receives a CPRIT grant. Congratulations! Here is CPRIT news release
- 12/07/2018 UTDesign Team 691 (Frederick Cossio, Alec Zobal, Craig Hartnell, Sukhmani Sandhu, John Jackson) mentored by Xiaoqing Li and sponsored by Dr. Zhenpeng Qin, completed their Senior Design project "Fully Automated Cranial Windows". Congratulations!
- 11/19/2018 Journal paper led by Candace E. Benjamin, "Site Selective Nucleation and Size Control of Gold Nanoparticle Photothermal Antennae on the Pore Structures of a Virus", was accepted by JACS.
- 08/24/2018 NT-BEL receives a CPRIT grant. Congratulations!
- 08/06/2018 Journal paper led by Dr. Mohammad Rezaul Karim, "Ultrafast pulsed laser induced nanocrystal transformation in colloidal plasmonic vesicles", was accepted by Advanced Optical Materials.
- 07/27/2018 2018 Summer STEM CAST Group (Kaitlyn Liu, Shirley Wu, David Ye, Andrew Zhang, Judy Zhou) won the third Prize in CAST STAR (Science Tech Academic Research) Awards. Congratulations!
- 06/12/2018 Xiaoqing Li received the NEMB travel award.Congratulations!
- 05/18/2018 NT-BEL receives a National Institute of Health (NIH) grant. Congratulations!
- 01/20/2018 Xiaoqing Li passed her Ph.D. qualify exam. Congratulations!
- 01/16/2018 Journal paper led by Dr. Xiuying Li, "Rock the nucleus: significantly enhanced nuclear membrane permeability and gene transfection by plasmonic nanobubble induced nanomechanical transduction", was accepted by Chemical Communications.
- 12/12/2017 Our work on plasmonic vesicles is featured on Photonics.com
- 11/28/2017 Our work on plasmonic vesicles is featured on TACC.
- 10/15/2017 Yaning received Betty and Gifford Johnson Student Travel Award. Congratulations!
- 10/10/2017 Journal paper led by Varsha, "Tuning the gold nanoparticle colorimetric assay by nanoparticle size, concentration, and size combinations for oligonucleotide detection", was accepted by ACS Sensors.
- 09/29/2017 Journal paper led by Peiyuan, " Molecular Hyperthermia: Spatiotemporal Protein Unfolding and Inactivation by Nanosecond Plasmonic Heating", was selected as cover feature.
- 07/07/2017 Journal paper led by visiting professor and collaborator Dr. Jaona Randrianalisoa, "Understanding the Collective Optical Properties of Complex Plasmonic Vesicles", was accepted by Advanced Optical Materials.
- 06/29/2017 Journal paper led by Kanav (PhD student in Dr. Bischof lab), "Gold Nanorod Induced Warming of Embryos Enhances Viability", was accepted by ACS Nano (Dr. Qin as co-author).
- 06/06/2017 Journal paper led by PhD student Peiyuan was accepted by Small.
- 03/16/2017 Our work is being promoted on NSF social media for Brain Awareness Week. Link
- 03/01/2017 Peiyuan received UT Dallas PhD Small Grant. Congratulations!
- 12/09/2016 Journal paper led by Dr. Xiuying Li was accepted by Advanced Functional Materials.
- 11/07/2016 NT-BEL research by Dr. Xiuying Li on the brain will be featured at NSF's booth during SfN.
- 08/25/2016 Dr. Qin is invited to participate in a Special Emphasize Panel (SEP) for NIH.
- 08/18/2016 NSF news release on the brain project. NSF funds new integrative approaches to study the brain
- 08/09/2016 Dr. Xiuying Li receives a postdoctoral fellowship to continue her research at NT-BEL. Congratulations!
- 08/09/2016 NT-BEL receives a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant. Congratulations!
- 07/25/2016 NT-BEL welcomes several new members: Colin Mahar (new PhD student), Jaona Randrianalisoa (visiting professor), and Maud Serre (visiting student).
- 07/21/2016 New article on quantifying gold nanoparticle heating generation
- 07/02/2016 NT-BEL attended SB3C conference. Dr. Qin chaired the session for Thermal Treatment and Hyperthermia. Peiyuan gave a podium and poster presentation.
- 06/27/2016 UTD news release features CPRIT grant.
- 05/18/2016 NT-BEL receives a CPRIT grant. Congratulations! Here is CPRIT news release
- 01/15/2016 NT-BEL will present several conference papers at 2016 ASME NanoEngineering in Medicine and Biology (NEMB) Conference. Dr. Qin will chair sessions on Nanoparticle Engineering and Temperature-sensitive Nanomedicine.
- 10/07/2015 A conference paper from NTBEL was accepted at 2015 NIH-IEEE Strategic Conference on Healthcare Innovations and Point of Care Technologies for Precision Medicine (HI-POCT’15). Congratulations to Aravind and Peiyuan!
- 08/18/2015 NT-BEL receives a UT System grant. Congratulations! Here is UTD news release
- 08/17/2015 Jesse won the Second Prize in CAST STAR (Science Tech Academic Research) Awards. Congratulations!
- 06/08/2015 NT-BEL receives a TexasMRC grant. Congratulations!
- 06/05/2015 Welcome new member, Dr. Xiuying Li, to join NT-BEL as a postdoctoral fellow!
- 05/22/2015 Welcome new Mechanical Engineering graduate student, Baileigh Darnell, to join NT-BEL!
- 04/20/2015 ASME 2015 4th Global Conference on Nanoengineering for Medicine and Biology (NEMB): Dr. Qin presented an invited talk and chaired a session on Emerging Topics for Nanotherapeutics II.
- 03/26/2015 After a few months of setup, NT-BEL is up and ready for experiments.
- 01/02/2015 Welcome two new Mechanical Engineering graduate students, Aravind Revuru and Peiyuan (Alvin) Kang, to join our research group!
- 10/30/2014 NT-BEL is actively looking a post-doctoral researcher with experience in nanomaterials (synthesis, bioconjugation and characterization), and its biomedical applications in drug delivery or cancer therapeutics. Interested candidates can send a cover letter, CV, top 3 publications and references to Dr. Qin (Zhenpeng.Qin@utdallas.edu).
27. Peiyuan Kang, Yang Wang, Blake A. Wilson, Yaning Liu, Napat Dawkrajai, Jaona Randrianalisoa, Zhenpeng Qin*
Nanoparticle Fragmentation below the Melting Point under Single Picosecond Laser Pulse Stimulation, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. (2021)